After-School Programs in the Community
• A Place Called Home (on Central & Jefferson). Visit their website at http://www.apch.org
• Loren Miller Recreation Center. Visit their website at http://www.laparks.org/dos/reccenter/facility/lorenMillerRC.htm
• LA Kids at Hoover Park (on Hoover and Adams). Visit their website at http://www.laparks.org/dos/reccenter/facility/hooverRC.htm
• Expo Center. Visit their website at http://www.laparks.org/expo/afterschool.htm
The Expo Center offers programs and services for families at little to no cost. Registration is currently open for their fall classes, swim lessons, and youth sports teams. They also provide a drop-in "Teen Clubhouse" program everyday after school for just $5 annually. Additionally, the EXPO Center hosts a Community Concert Series and a Halloween Carnival on October 24th.
The Expo Sharks water polo team also practices in Exposition Park and is open to children ages 7-18 that have some swimming experience. Financial aid is available. For more information, contact Coach Christopher Meyer at (310) 386-8840 and visit the team's facebook page.
• Hoover Intergeneration Center (HIC). Visit their website at http://childcarecenter.us/provider_detail/hoover_intergenerational_care_inc_child_dev_ctr_los_angeles_ca
• Homework Assistance After School (HAAS) at Hoover Recreation Center (213-749-8896). Hoover Recreation Center staff will provide help in reading and math and offer free music, art, dance and gymnastics classes. Program open Monday - Thursday, 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., ages 5-12. Fee charged.
• The United University Church on the campus of USC offers free tutoring from 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. For more information, contact Susan Stouffer at 213-748-0209, ext. 13 or email her at email@example.com.
Free Tutoring Services
Los Angeles Public Library - Exposition Park Branch
Not only are public libraries available to lend books, but they also provide online learning resources and homework help in the Student Zone. The Student Zone is a homework center for students in 1st - 12th grades that provides study space; access to computers for word processing, research, and online tutoring through Live Homework Help; free printing for assignments; and guidance in using the library's resources. The hours for this service are: Monday through Thursday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information, visit the the LA Public Library website.
To access the Khan Academy, click here. Help in every subject. For you, for FREE.