• USC CAE, through the efforts of our cinematic arts teacher Mr. Waynee, was one of ten school selected in the national Vans Custom Culture Grant Program through Americans for the Arts. This grant will allow USC CAE to purchase additional cameras that classes can use as it expands it cinematic arts curriculum across all departments on its 6th - 12th grade campus.
• Cross Country Team News: The 2015 cross country team under the guidance of head coach Velerine Venadas was the most successful in school history. Both the boys and girls team finished as the LA City Champions and 11th grader Fernando Chavez won the individual boy's championship title. Representing the school at the state meet were 14 members of this championship team, the highest number of participants from any single LAUSD schools.
• Many thanks to Figueroa Corridor Yogurtland, Jack In The Box, and McDonald's for providing coupons that will support our student Attendance and Achievement Recognition program. These are three business partners that are making an impact in our schools.
• This years Super Saturday takes place on October 10. Breakfast ($5) begins at 8 a.m. and parent workshops (free) begin at 9:30 a.m. Workshops include college admissions, Special Education program, AVID, English Learner program, LAUSD Magnet program, Mental Health Services, and student exhibits. The day concludes at 12 p.m. Parking is available in the Shrine Auditorium parking structure.
• 7 of our high school students were granted AP Scholar status for receiving scores of 3 or higher on three or more AP Exams.
Louis Diaz, Alfonso Felipe, Harry Galiano, Michael Montano, Zulema Renteria, Keny Santos, Catlin Segundo
• Smarter Balanced Assessment results are posted. Our high school students' results exceeded the state averages in both English Language Arts and mathematics. This is a tribute to all the departments as they work collaboratively to implement a STEAM program. When teachers make themselves available during lunchtime and after school to help students, we get these kinds of results. Teachers at LAUSD/USC Cinematic Arts & Engineering care about each and every one of their students.
• For two straight year, LAUSD/USC Cinematic Arts & Engineering Magnet has a 100% graduation rate. Our graduates attend universities such as UC Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Syracuse University, and Univ. of Wisconsin.
• Back-to-School Night, Thursday, Sept. 3 from 4 -6 p.m. Meet your child's teacher this night.
• First Early Out Tuesday is September 1. See Bell Schedule link.
• Welcome Message from Mr. Cortines, Superintendent of Schools
• TEACHER ASSISTANTS NEEDED. Apply in the main office.
• Congratulations to Olivia Smith, our 2015 POSSE winner. 4-year scholarship to Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
• The Cinematic Arts Department has received a grant for $25,000 from the Hollywood Foreign Press for the 2015-2016 school year. This grant will support the "Lights, Camera, Take Action" project to be implemented in the Documentary Filmmaking class and the Advertising Design class.
• Four of our high school students have been accepted to the very competitive and prestigious Ghetto Film School. Congratulations Ramon Gurrola, Jaire Bowen, Layquawn Windley, and Jessica Muñoz.
• Congratulations to Dr. Purcell, 1st grade teacher, for having two articles published in School Arts Magazine "Graffiti Echoes" and "ArtWise, LikeWise"
• Julker Khan, 10th grader, has been awarded the 2015 Christopher Warren scholarship. The $20,000 scholarship is awarded annually to 10 outstanding LAUSD high school sophomores.
• Math, Science, Engineering Achievement (MESA) team headed to regional finals after placing 1st in Bridge Building Contest at the USC competition.
• One of our own Wendy Cruz, 7th grader, won the Beyond The Bell Spelling Bee Regional competition. Congratulations!
• Congratulations to our girl's cross country team and individual runner Fernando Chavez - City Champions!
Student Words to Staff
I wish you were my second mom
2nd grader to her teacher
If it weren't for him, I would probably be failing
6th grader to support staff
Thank you for putting up with my rage and never giving up
graduating senior to English teacher
21st Century Tech Links